Thursday, March 11, 2010

Shared Leadership

In February I had the privilege of meeting Linda Lindberg from the Cedar County Republican newspaper in Stockton. Working on a feature that will appear in the paper the end of March, she requested an interview with me. The article, entitled WOMEN TAKE THE LEAD, will include interviews with several women who are leaders in Cedar County.

The title of the feature used language I would not use to describe leadership in the church, but I agreed to the interview hoping to define leadership from a different perspective. The first distinction in my mind is that a pastor, whether male or female, called to serve a congregation, does not TAKE the leadership of the church but, instead, is called to SHARE the leadership within the congregation.

Leadership in the church, as I understand it, is always plural. No one person is in control, but together we share in establishing priorities and forward movement, each of us bringing a contribution to the life of the church. Relationships within the church demonstrate mutual respect for differences and we submit to one another out of reverence for Christ (as the scripture says in Ephesians 5:21). Mutual submission and mutual respect allows us to celebrate differences as we grow together in Christ.

Back in the 20th century many congregations organized on a business model with spiritual aspects intertwined in a structure borrowed from the corporate world. Our congregation uses this model with operational committees and functioning committees led by chairpersons. The trustees watch over the physical properties and our elders, facilitated by a chair person, see to our spiritual well-being. I work within these structures as a peer. Our church board made up of elders, deacons, and committee chairs sees to the business of the church. Presently four committees are attempting to function without chairs, those being: Worship, Transportation, Outreach, and Finance.

My leadership style would be called quiet participation, mindful of pastoral responsibilities while helping to encourage and equip others to use their spiritual gifts in ministry.


The committees and the board provide direction and oversight to the congregation. I function as a facilitator and an encourager, working with others to bring to life a vision for the church that comes from the board and the committees. The elders and I provide spiritual direction and pastoral care. By the terms of my call I also have the responsibility to preach from the scriptures each Sunday and to be involved in the life of our community.

I am grateful for the nudge of the interview which made me think through in some detail my understanding of leadership and what is happening in our congregation.

No comments:

Post a Comment